Public meeting on Cowes school

By a County Press reporter

Sunday, April 20, 2014

THE public meeting called for by the Isle of Wight County Press and promised by a leading councillor into the Cowes Enterprise College (CEC) fiasco, will go ahead on Monday, April 28.

Richard Priest, Isle of Wight Council executive member for education, said the meeting would go ahead in Cowes at 6pm, at a venue yet to be decided.

"We want as many questions answered as possible," he said.

County Press editor Alan Marriott, who has asked for transparency in the saga and made Freedom of Information requests about the suspensions of Janet Newton and John Brocklehurst, said invitations would be issued to all interested parties.

These included Ms Newton and Mr Brocklehurst, Stuart Love, who took over the project after the suspensions of the pair, former IW Council chief executive Steve Beynon, former leader David Pugh, current managing director Dave Burbage, current leader Cllr Ian Stephens, chairman of CEC governors Rachael Fidler, and former Cowes High school chair of governors Alan Wells.

Mr Marriott said: "We have been denied answers about what really went on until now.

"Let us hope this is a chance for the truth to be told in a public forum."

Cllr Priest hoped Cowes Enterprise College itself would be the venue and said Hampshire County Council officers would be present to answer questions on the building and the support they were offering to the school now.

Comments

22nd April 2014, at 18:52:38

It's not a radio interview I have, but an AGM and as I am on the committee, I 'had better attend', but one of the questions I would have asked and perhaps someone would be kind enough to ask for me, is, as I understand it, right from the start of this project, there was no just one Project Manager. Why? Any 'committee' has a Chairman who approves, or will sanction what the committee has approved or disapproved, who was the Chairman/Project Manager i this case? The person whose signature was on the order?

I was the Electrical Design Engineer on a project and my signature is on those drawings. The buck stopped here.

Where did the buck stop on this fiasco? One question I CAN answer ........................................ nowhere WHY?

by Den Young

20th April 2014, at 15:42:53

see your point SE ill be there as well, bit like people that refuse to use their own names on forums their comments are of no use to anybody serious or not.

20th April 2014, at 15:38:56

DG you are certainly correct there and I suppose the whole Island could be there!!

However on that night I might be giving a Radio interview, but if not I think I will attend and see if I can get some answers to a few questions I have

by D Gorman

20th April 2014, at 10:57:12

Surely Mike as an Island resident it's your council tax that's helped fund this fiasco, therefore you have as much right to attend as any other resident.

20th April 2014, at 10:50:23

I would like to attend that and ask a few questions of my own, but as I am not a Cowes resident and do not have children which have been affected I don't feel I have the right.

by Tony Tiltman Jnr

20th April 2014, at 09:59:04

I do have to agree with you SE, big up to you fella for attending hope you polish up on your decorum.

by Stephen Elliott

20th April 2014, at 09:32:00

No Den here's the thing, hardly anyone will show up because most people are internet commentators and not actual do'ers.

It's very easy to hide behind a monitor/phone having an opinion. It's quite different having the confidence to say it face to face.

I'll be there

by Den Young

20th April 2014, at 08:30:45

and we will all end up none the wiser by the time all backs have been covered