Queen's New Year Honours for Isle of Wight stars

By Matthew Mckew

Monday, December 30, 2013

THE QUEEN has recognised four people on the Isle of Wight for their hard work and dedication to a range of charities and organisations.

John Phillips, the founder of John's Club, has been awarded an MBE for his services to people with learning disabilities.

Mr Phillips, 59, has learning problems and dyslexia, and has dedicated his life to helping others.

Matt Searle has been given an MBE for services to British citizens abroad, particularly missing persons.

Matt, of Union Street, Ryde, is the chief executive of the Lucie Blackman Trust, which was set up by Lucie Blackman's father Tim, following her murder in Japan in 2000.

The founder and organiser of Friends of the Animals, Helen Sinclair, of Newnham Lane, Ryde, was also rewarded with an MBE, for services to animal welfare.

Wendy Gannon, founder of Friends of Brading Roman Villa, received a BEM — British Empire Medal — for voluntary services to heritage on the Isle of Wight.

Reporter: matthewm@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

by Jack Woodford

1st January 2014, at 19:30:18

Nice Work Matty Boy. Posting under a false name is a site ban isn't it
He will be missed.....

by Jack Woodford

31st December 2013, at 18:03:08

Baz - I wasn't judging you, fella, I was offering a counter view. Isn't that what this site is all about? Hat's off to you for your footy credentials, big guy.
I'm afraid Donny you only serve to prove my point about the hysterical reaction to the modern day footballer. You bang on about (presumably) David Beckham when he has not even been gonged. Why the need?
To be honest its that sort of reaction that just perpetuates the celebrity status of footballers. People who attend matches in my experience don't really mind Beckham apart from the customary partisan perspective of team rivalry. Those who go on about his status and his missus are the sorts who tend to read about him in the newspapers they buy thereby actively buying into the whole celebrity deal. I'm' no fan of Beckham but to take such rabid dislike of a sportsman based purely on their status seems somewhat resentful.
I'm sure you're not that kind of dude really but your post was a bit OTT, in my callow experience.

by Don Prescott

31st December 2013, at 15:45:41

Is that you 1972 Commander?
Quack quack!

by Don Prescott

31st December 2013, at 14:46:19

Jack,
"Have any footballers actually been gonged? No - so why the fuss?"

I think that it is because the vast majority of people are sick to the back teeth of the walking tattoo being praised to the hilt for doing very little except appearing every day in the Daily Mail with a different hat on!

You gotta remember dude, that our generation had someone who was actually quite good at football, captained Engerlund to win the World Cup in fact, but unfortunately died of cancer when still young.
Now THAT is worth a knighthood.
Kicking an Argentinian in the ***** and falling out with, without doubt, the best ever football manager in the last 100 years and being "pushed" forward by his shrew of a wife is not even in the same league, fella.

by Baz Taylor

31st December 2013, at 14:39:58

Jack, you took my first comments far too literally. I used "namby pamby footballers" as an example. I also don't think actors, comedians, and other so-called "celebrities" should receive these types of award. As for not liking football, I attend EVERY home game at Newport, I was also a steward for a Premier League team for 8 years and played the game myself until injury forced me to retire when I was 45! Please don't judge someone you know nothing about. It belittles you.

by Jack Woodford

31st December 2013, at 13:35:03

Grated, chaps - footballers ain't what they used to be.
Mind you Billyboy, I seem to remember two White Hart Lane legends of the 80s right at the start of football's descent into celebrity - Hoddle and Waddle and their Diamond Lights aberration.
Mind you, given your current sporting libido, you probably found those mullets quite a good look...
And back to the topic in hand. Have any footballers actually been gonged in the current list? No - so why all the fuss?

by David Blackford

31st December 2013, at 13:20:09

Sorry - forgot "Sir" Stanley Mattews - "The Wizard of the Dribble" and "The Magician".

by Doreen Banham

31st December 2013, at 13:15:01

by David Blackford

31st December 2013, at 13:11:01

I remember when footy was played with a soggy leather ball and boots with toecaps. - Like you say Biil - real men and I don't recall any of them receiving "honours" - and apart from a few, most had a daytime job to make ends meet - No millionaires - but damn good football

by Bill Parks

31st December 2013, at 13:05:28

Kudos to all those recognized for awards.. Well done, i think there are many more yet to be acknowledged. Keep up the good work.