FIREFIGHTERS saved a man from a smoke-filled house in Brading High Street during the early hours of last Friday morning, thanks to two quick-thinking engineers.
Ben Gwilliam, 25, from Newport, and Adam Thompson, 22, of Central Way, Sandown, were carrying out late-night work for BT.
The CCN Communications engineers spotted a man enter a house in the street, late on Thursday evening.
Some time later, they smelled smoke, looked through the letterbox and saw flames around 2ft high.
Ben said: "We phoned for the fire brigade and an ambulance and knocked on the neighbours’ doors."
The IW Fire and Rescue Service received the call at 12.06am and sent four fire engines.
Firefighters had to force their way into the smoke-filled house to save the occupant.
Duty fire officer Jeff Walls said: "We had to deploy four personnel with breathing apparatus to go in and get the man out. He was checked out by a waiting ambulance crew."
Mr Walls said the fire had been caused by a microwave oven. He thanked the two men for giving the fire service the early warning needed to stop the incident from becoming more serious.
The fire officer advised care when cooking late at night.
Island Roads closed Brading High Street during the incident, which lasted for around half an hour.
A spokeswoman for St Mary’s Hospital confirmed a person had been seen and discharged.