Raise leisure centre fees, say Conservatives

By Emily Pearce

Monday, February 17, 2014

LEISURE centre fees should be increased instead of parking charges, according to Conservative councillors on the Isle of Wight.

The Tories today (Monday) announced fresh budget proposals, which include increasing charges for The Heights, Medina and Westridge Leisure Centres by at least ten per cent, to be discussed at next Wednesday’s budget-setting meeting at County Hall.

Cllr Wayne Whittle, Conservative spokesman for tourism and business, criticised the ruling Independent group's proposals to increase parking charges, which he said would harm businesses and town centres.

He said charges for the council's leisure centres, including the One Card, should be brought in line with those run independently of the local authority, such as the Waterside Pool, Ryde, and West Wight Sports Centre.

"The Independents are proposing a tiny tinkering with leisure centre prices. After £7m was invested in council leisure centre gyms, the Independents are proposing no increased charge for their use. This is short-sighted.

"Most people would agree that when other essential services are being cut, for example school crossing patrols, it’s not unreasonable to expect those who use leisure centres to pay their way," he said.

The Conservatives say funding for trade unions should also be cut, as previously reported.

Reporter: emilyp@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

by Keven Ball

20th February 2014, at 21:34:41

Laura where is your gym, which town? I know someone who works in a gym on the island and I could try ad get you a discount?

by Keven Ball

20th February 2014, at 11:20:53

Hi Laura - It is just for the gym of course it has changing rooms and showers but I do not use the swimming pools in any gym. Everyone is different, I am a gym only person. As you get the whole works for your £35 then it can be very good value if you use it frequently as you do.

by Laura Smith

20th February 2014, at 09:32:30

Now the David Lloyd facility in Southampton offers all of that but doesn't give a price, interesting.

by Laura Smith

20th February 2014, at 09:27:39

But Keven, does your gym pass allow you to use swimming pools, squash courts, hall/court hire, an array of fitness classes and use of spa facilities? That's my point!

by Keven Ball

19th February 2014, at 18:49:44

* I go to the

by Keven Ball

19th February 2014, at 18:48:24

by David Blackford

19th February 2014, at 12:24:32
"Hey Keven - I trust off-peak cheapo isn't like the Isle of Wight ferry cheapo - after midnight - bit lonely!" Not at all I go tot he gym with my best friend and training partner? Sorry, what was your point again?

by Keven Ball

19th February 2014, at 18:47:03

Laura London is a different world to anywhere else in the UK. That is just stating the obvious... That is why you get paid extra to work there... the gym isn't too bad for island standards, but next to my gym it is. But good for you and glad you enjoy it! Keep it up!

by Laura Smith

19th February 2014, at 12:30:26

Keven I don't think it's that bad. I use the gym, play squash and take part in classes. If I go to the gym three times a week I've made my money back. There are private gyms on the Island that cost more but you get less, no pool access, court hire etc. I know people in London who pay a hell of a lot more.

by David Blackford

19th February 2014, at 12:24:32

by Keven Ball

19th February 2014, at 11:03:59

I feel it is great to know you like to exercise and keep fit Laura - I am just gutted for you that it costs so much to do so!