Recommendations for ferry companies

By Martin Neville

Thursday, April 24, 2014

ISLE of Wight Council watchdogs have published a raft of recommendations following their probe into cross-Solent ferry services.

A report published this week followed two specially convened public meetings at County Hall, organised by the authority’s overview and scrutiny panel in the wake of high fares and Wightlink cuts to late night and early morning sailings.

Solent commuters, business and tourism leaders and representatives from Wightlink, Red Funnel and Hovertravel, gave evidence to the Cross Solent Services Task Group on key aspects such as fares, frequency and timetabling.

Commuters highlighted the negative impact of service cuts, while all three ferry firms said boosting tourism was key to better ferry services.

Now, the Task Group has come up with eight recommendations which will be considered by the scrutiny committee on May 1, before a final report is submitted to full council.

They include:

•Encouraging smaller businesses to work together to negotiate reduced fares.

•Regular engagement between the ferry operators, users and the council.

•Reviewing the role of the Quality Transport Partnership.

•Assisting developers in bringing forward planning applications for quality accommodation and all year round attractions.

Click here to view the report.

Reporter: martinn@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

by Jack Woodford

26th April 2014, at 11:00:01

@David.
Apologies - that last posting didn't make sense.
Anyhow, trust me fella, it is a fact that cabinet members have claimed for childcare.
Ain't no doubt about it.

by David Blackford

26th April 2014, at 10:56:22

PS - At the moment!!!

by David Blackford

26th April 2014, at 09:11:02

That looks a good one Jack - I've bookmarked it and I'll think about it - as that childcare expenses claim is only a hearsay rumour.

by Jack Woodford

26th April 2014, at 08:37:08

@David
Seeing as though the gruesome our cabinet member friends have conveniently gone to ground, you can always try this:

Keep us all posted, fella.

by David Blackford

26th April 2014, at 07:46:23

PS - Sadly this important item will soon slip off the bottom of the list - "Thank goodness for that" I hear, from the Council Offices and so called "Council Officers" - Bury it they hope

by David Blackford

26th April 2014, at 07:42:00

Come on councillors - either tell or refute whether you abuse your expenses.
And surely "Freedom of information" would give us the truth - if someone knows how to access it

by jacqui adams

25th April 2014, at 23:43:02

Having just been told that it costs £108 for my husband and I to go by Wightlink for one weeks holiday, I am reeling,,, how can we expect to attract tourists in August which is when we are going away, and this is the local discounted fare!?

by Jack Woodford

25th April 2014, at 19:37:07

There was a discounted scheme but my mate is not sure if its still in place although it was entirely at SV's expense as a way of getting people out of their cars and onto buses.
Cllrs Stubbings and Jordan could, I am sure, clarify the childcare issue if they were so inclined. Come to think of it - didn't the Independents when they were banging on about transparency before it all turned sour say they would publish their expenses?

by David Blackford

25th April 2014, at 11:43:05

That is reassuring Jack - anything on bus travel? as I'm sure that would have to be paid for by a grant to S.Vectis.
Fair enough shops etc which I know is commonplace.
Let's hope someone can clarify on Councillors childcare - I don't think even MPs had the audacity to claim that on expenses!!

by Jack Woodford

25th April 2014, at 10:06:59

David - I've spoken to my mate again and the following you can take as pretty much gospel.
There are numerous discounts offered to staff by local companies.
These are typically discounted products and services - ten percent off of ferry travel, local restaurants, stores etc. These are offered freely by the participating companies at no cost whatsoever to the taxpayer.
Then, at the public expense, you have expenses/allowances to elected members. To be fair, these expenses/allowance are not untypical nor - in comparative terms - excessive.
However I understand some members have claimed for childcare which I think is a bit rich. It sets a poor example when councillors claim child care allowances when staff employed by the council (and other organisations) get no such perk.
I'm sure Cllr Stubbings and Jordan can verify all this if they are not too busy not giving advice to the Independent Association on their new parliamentary candidate