Riders enjoy Randonnee

By Ross Findon

Monday, May 5, 2014

Riders enjoy Randonnee

Riders take part in the Isle of Wight Randonnee. Picture by Robin Crossley.

AROUND 2,000 riders took part in the Isle of Wight Randonnee yesterday (Sunday).

For the first time in 30 years, riders were unable to use the Cowes-East Cowes Floating Bridge, which is undergoing repairs.

The event was created in 1985 by the Isle of Wight Wayfarers and riders have the choice of a 55km and 100km routes.

For a full report and more pictures, please see the Isle of Wight County Press on Friday, May 9.

Comments

by kevin froment

8th May 2014, at 11:33:45

its a sad day when personal attacks are the only comebacks

by Derek Taylor

8th May 2014, at 10:35:22

I often wonder how these inconsiderate cyclists actually drive their own car. Lets be honest, the vast majority of cyclists when attending an event actually use a car to transport themselves and their bike to the location. Lymington ferry car park was completely full up and looked like an advert for Halfords.

As for cars slowing down for horses and not humans, that was my point in my original post, why do these cyclists not slow down for walkers (humans!)

by David Shoulder

7th May 2014, at 23:22:08

Angry drivers and drivers who refer to other road users as idiots are invariably bad drivers themselves in reality.

by kevin froment

7th May 2014, at 22:34:44

well nigel, the car was alongside the rider who was overtaken, not the idiots that overtook him, if the car had been anything larger there would have been fatalities, you say he or she should have waited until it was safe to overtake, he or she did wait as we all were, and as the car was alongside the cyclist these 2 morons just decided that it was a good idea to creat a situation that could have been very bad, thank goodness it wasnt. in this instance the driver was not the stupid one and we were only travelling at around 15 as for banning all motorised vehicles while a cycling event is taking place, what do the people that need to use cars, buses etc, do they have to stay at home, do restaurants, pubs/clubs have to close, what about the working man and woman do if they need to do their shopping, do relatives say sorry i cant come to your event because im not allowed to drive my car and i cant walk 15 miles to your house.

by Robert Drover

7th May 2014, at 10:06:11

as a rider & driver for 60+y I am of the opinion that never have conditions been more dangerous for cyclists.than now. QI "fact" the safer cars become for their occupants the greater the rise in death & injury to cyclists..Overtaking should be only when the road ahead is visibly clear so there is no need to be anywhere near the rider. Paul Ripley , road safety expert, suggested cyclists ride about a metre away from roadside arguing that it is easier to yield ground than win it. On IOW roads this often necessary as conditions demand this. May I remind motorists that so many roads leave no margin for error where embankments and (often dangerous overgrown ) hedges border the highway.Also nobody I know can see around corners or through hillbrows both these spots are where I am frequently overtaken, and forces me to have to brake to avoid danger..
Most drivers slow for horse traffic but few for cyclists.
Cycle tracks are not free of danger either as many dogs are allow

by Robert Drover

7th May 2014, at 10:06:08

Most drivers slow for horse traffic but few for cyclists.
Cycle tracks are not free of danger either as many dogs are allow

by Derek Taylor

7th May 2014, at 08:53:03

@ David - I was actually out walking and generally reserve my car journeys for essentials.

A valuable lesson was learn by me at the weekend and I now intend to take a leaf out of the cyclists book in that I will in future "assume the primary road position", ie walk in the middle of the road and not move over for anyone or anything.....

by john jones

7th May 2014, at 06:21:36

maybe david shoulder should take some of the idiots from the weekend BIKE SHOW to some of the Birmingham suburbs and see if they are still riding their bikes 2 mins after shouting "coming through" I don't think they would be.
oh and George I totally agree.

by David Shoulder

7th May 2014, at 05:37:44

Some people here seem to have an unbelievably negative attitude towards life - mean and petty. Get out on a bike and work some frustration off instead of seething behind the wheel on your vital journey to where on a bank holiday Sunday?! What will the bloggers here find to moan about in next weeks Walk the Wight!?

by Claire Kulba

7th May 2014, at 01:51:25

I cycle..but to get from a-b not like these loonies! must admit most cyclists can be a bit rude when it comes to the road. they pretend they havent seen you then go slow as to make you wait for them. why not move to the side a bit? oh so you want people to wait for you..where are you going exactly????? do my head in.