Rise in jobseekers

By Ross Findon

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

CLAIMS for Jobseeker's Allowance on the Isle of Wight rose by 70 in December, but fell year-on-year  by more than 600.

Office of National Statistics figures released today (Wednesday) showed the total number rose from 3,010 in November to 3,080 in December, compared with 3,700 at the same time last year.

The latest increase brought the rate to 3.8% of 16 to 64 year olds, more than double the south east average.

The number of 25 to 49 year olds claiming the unemployment benefit rose to 3.9%, from 1,515 to 1,555.

The number of 18 to 24-year-old jobseeker's allowance claimants rose to 8.7%, from 835 to 855, compared to 1,070 for the same period last year.

Nationally however, there was a fall for the same age group between November and December, from 5.1% to 4.9%. In the south east the rate fell from 3.2% to 3%.

Earlier this month the Isle of Wight Council announced it planned to shed 80 jobs this year, with a further 280 at risk over the following two years.

Jobseeker_quote_s Allowance

Reporter: ross.findon@iwcp.co.uk

Comments

by Keven Ball

23rd January 2014, at 18:26:16

@ Graham & Mike
There are many free online courses that can benefit people into gaining basic qualifications. There is a very good one called "vision2learn" have a look...

by Keven Ball

23rd January 2014, at 18:23:44

"Keven in one of my capacities, I have been asked to circulate some FUNDED courses at the College. FREE for those who wish to get their finger out and get a qualification."

Not sure what that has to do with work experience Mike? A college course does not give you any work experience, just a bit of paper if you pass the course... not sure what you point is there Mike?

by Graham Harrison

23rd January 2014, at 17:50:18

I'd like to know why firms like Liz Earle bring people over from the mainland when there are plenty of young people here who do not have work? I'm sure they would have a training package to teach our youngsters..or am I being a bit silly in my thinking?

23rd January 2014, at 17:45:03

by Keven Ball

23rd January 2014, at 17:15:13

@ Mike
Anyone can apply for any job, but if you do not meet the criteria of the job then you will not be offered an interview thus wasting everyone's time... There are a very good mixture of jobs on offer. If you feel you lack experience then volunteer in your free time to gain some... excuses and excuses...

23rd January 2014, at 15:16:32

Keven even if a job is advertised as requiring a degree, it doesn't mean that someone without a degree cannot apply. An advert appeared in the CP for a position, 'degree required'. I knew I could do the job. Didn't have the required degree. Applied for it. Got it.

Yes I know I know, I had the experience ""How do you get that experience in the first place???""

Well it depends on your circumstances of course, but whilst in that post, someone straight out of UNI with a degree but without the experience was able to say "I will work for 6 months without pay to prove myself". He got the job and years later set up in business partnership with his boss!!

by Keven Ball

23rd January 2014, at 13:27:10

@ Mike
That is what we are saying... the word 'excuse' comes to mind when we talk about employment. As said, look at the job pages on this website there are many jobs that do not require degrees etc... If the island has no work why is there over 100 jobs being advertised and not filled?

23rd January 2014, at 13:09:36

Keven, I have asked the question time and time again, 'How many job seekers are job seekers?'

by Keven Ball

23rd January 2014, at 13:05:05

@ James
I understand and have made a post saying is there enough jobs to people ratio on the island? However, I have seen the job pages on this website and there are many jobs that are on offer... so why aren't they being filled?

by James McAdder

23rd January 2014, at 12:12:55

Quite right, Keven.

The IW probably has the same proportion of "workshy" as anywhere else.

The difference in the percentage of jobless on the IW compared to the mainland is largely made up of those who want to work, but can't