Schools could be hit by one-day national strike

By Richard Wright

Friday, June 27, 2014

SCHOOLS are expected to bear the brunt of strike action on the Island called for July 10.

More than 1,300 letters went to IW UNISON members this week calling on them to take part in a national pay strike.

UNISON wants an improvement in a one per cent pay offer and for a focus on the wages of lower-paid members, many of whom receive little more than the minimum wage.

The National Union of Teachers (NUT), the GMB and Unite plan to strike on the same day, promising much greater disruption than the NUT strike in March, which closed two schools and disrupted others.

This time a broad range of IW Council services will be hit as well as schools.

"Our feeling is the national ballot result of 60 per cent in favour of a strike was reflected on the Island," said UNISON branch secretary Mark Chiverton.

"UNISON members feel the one per cent pay offer is entirely inadequate and they will slip even further behind than they have in recent years."

The IW Council said it was putting in place contingency measures in discussion with unions.

Reporter: richardw@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

by Thomas Peach

1st July 2014, at 11:06:34

The sad fact of the matter is that the strike is about poor wages but for LSA's like myself we can't afford to take a day without pay meaning we can't support the cause.

by David Blackford

30th June 2014, at 06:50:09

I've run out of steam on this one bruvvers

by Ben Ridley

29th June 2014, at 20:17:01

Karen, then unfortunately the only option these TA have is to take strike action, as they seem to be under valued and under paid. As for the standards being dropped again in my opinion those standards to apply should be raised and so should their wages, you will attract the more suitable ( though not always the case ) and capable, you gets what you pays for, which I believe is also the case in the private sector. And let's give those dedicated teachers ( as I believe most are, I really can't see why else you would do it ) our support.

by Karen Newton

29th June 2014, at 18:18:32

I should clarify I think TAs are under-valued and deserve a payrise and review of their job descriptions and person specifications. I also appreciate others hold views, some contrary to mine, some in agreement, so I'll let others now have a say! Thanks for listening.

by Karen Newton

29th June 2014, at 18:14:15

That's a relief, glad we have found common ground!
Why do you believe standards of recruiting new teachers have dropped? The Job Descriptions and Person Specifications remain, on the whole, the same, and depending on the candidate and interview panel, there can be more than one reason. For me, the issue is what happens once someone has a job - they should continually be monitored to ensure they are achieving objectives, provided with support if required, and if, after support has been given, they are still not performing, they should be dismissed. Probationary periods for new recruits should be used to good effect. Harsh, but not everyone is suited to teach.

by Ben Ridley

29th June 2014, at 17:53:52

No Karen I agree, our older relatives are just as important, and again I agree with care workers being paid what they deserve, along with members of our armed forces, emergency services, doctors, nurses I could go on!! Maybe how I should of put it is that as human beings be it a child at school or an elderly person in a care home they should be treated as such, and not as so many bosses of these industries be it schools or care homes in particular as a way to make money. That also goes for the personnel that we trust to care and educate them, who should be rewarded and supported in a manner that is befitting of the trust we put in them to do their jobs to the best of their ability. Also can I ask again why the standards of recruiting new teachers has dropped?

by Karen Newton

29th June 2014, at 17:39:47

"...teachers are responsible for something far more precious than anything else in regards to any other profession...", sorry but I 100% disagree with this, and passionately so! Care workers provide an essential service to those who are just as 'precious' - our ageing relatives, those with complex needs etc. Yes, children are precious but so are others, and perhaps that is why you and I hold such different views as I do not agree in a hierarchy of 'preciousness' - I do, however, believe careworker salaries should be increased before any public sector pay rises. Like many many people, I also have a job subject to outside influences - it is down to me personally to make sure I deliver on my core objectives regardless of what else goes on around me. Perhaps on one of the development days teachers could undergo training in managing conflicting demands, as this is required in most roles nowadays.

by Ben Ridley

29th June 2014, at 16:35:00

I think David they are getting very disheartened, I also feel that the lack of support for them in what is a very very hard job and the put up up or shut up attitude of their bosses has made anyone who may of or has been a good teacher say enough is enough.

by David Blackford

29th June 2014, at 16:31:38

PS - or maybe have forgotten how to teach - do they get refresher courses?

by David Blackford

29th June 2014, at 16:30:26

Ben I guess that providing a teacher has the basic required standard of education - they haven't been taught to teach properly - or maybe not taught to teach at all!