Smoke leads to road closure

By Ross Findon

Friday, March 28, 2014

 

A ROAD was closed in Cowes today (Friday) after reports of smoke coming from a manhole cover.

Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service was called to Baring Road at 10.42am.

Following a request from emergency services, Island Roads closed the road at 11.50am, however it has since re-opened.

The fire service said Scottish and Southern Electric Engineers had been called to the scene and isolated a cable.

Gurnard Primary School has lost power as a result of the incident, but will remain open. A disco due to be held tonight (Friday) has been cancelled.

Facebook Icon Twitter Icon Delicious Icon

More News

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

Most Read

  1. Burglary at cafe

    Tuesday, August 19, 2014

  2. Tumble dryer fire

    Monday, August 18, 2014

  3. Best Kept Village Awards defended

    Tuesday, August 19, 2014

  4. Dogs on beach decision to be considered by scrutiny committee

    Tuesday, August 19, 2014

  5. Government school meals plan costs the council

    Tuesday, August 19, 2014

View our Elgin Traffic & Travel Map