By Martin Neville
Friday, July 6, 2012
The swelling on Shannon Carey’s leg caused by a spider bite.
A SPIDER bite left a 19-year-old girl on a drip in hospital.Shannon Carey started feeling light headed and short of breath within hours of being bitten on the leg. She was taken to St Mary’s Hospital by her concerned mother after the bite swelled to the size of a CD.Shannon, who was put on a drip, said she felt sick and had completely lost her appetite.She said: “I was told by the doctor it was a spider bite.“I don’t know what would have happened if I had left it any longer but they seemed glad I had come when I did as it was spreading fast.“As they weren’t sure what had bitten me, they didn’t know how dangerous it was.“They drew a line around the puncture mark and told me if it went over the line to go back to them.“During the day the rash did go over the line but it wasn’t as painful and the skin wasn’t as hard so I continued to take the medication they gave me.”Shannon, who lives in Ryde, is now urging other people who suffer a similar bite to seek medical advice straight away.She said: “I feel concerned that if other Islanders are bitten by the same spider they won’t realise the seriousness of it. “The signs to look out for are the swelling, a sore spreading, shortness of breath, fast heartbeat, feeling hot and light headedness.”
Saturday, May 25, 2013
Friday, May 24, 2013
IWCP v4.0 © Isle of Wight County Press 2011. All Rights Reserved. Web Design By Matrix Create.
Contact Us | Disclaimer
| Cookies | Links | Sitemap
Isle of Wight County Press Ltd. Registered office: Brannon House, 123 Pyle Street,
Newport, Isle of Wight PO30 1ST. Registered in England. Registered number: 1342243.