Storm damage blamed for phone problems

By Sara Bryce

Monday, February 24, 2014

AN O2 phone mast in Ryde, damaged by recent storms has left some Isle of Wight customers without a signal for around a week.

A spokesman for the mobile phone provider said today (Monday) the mast and the roof of the building near George Street suffered extensive damage during the bad weather.

The spokesman said: "Our engineers have now been able to recover our equipment and we are conducting surveys and liaising with local authorities as well as third party suppliers to identify a location for a temporary solution.

"We are working as quickly as we can to restore service to the Ryde area and apologise for the inconvenience."

Reporter: sarab@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

by Keven Ball

28th February 2014, at 20:24:22

Is it still down?

by karen young

28th February 2014, at 19:25:15

Its not fixed for me... i keep hearing it has been fixed, but my signal is still just the same... any more news?

by Keven Ball

26th February 2014, at 15:46:48

Thanks for the compliment Neil! Sometimes you can get support from phone providers if you ask that is right. As 02 say " We are better...connected"!

by david wright

26th February 2014, at 15:25:50

@ Neil King
I dont think it has been suggested but when I had mobile phone problems 02 redirected dialled mobile calls to my landline.
Not sure if your network could or would do this and obviously if you are out the benefit is limited but at least being able to receive messages from customers is better than nothing and you can ring them back.

by Keven Ball

26th February 2014, at 11:48:27

by neil king
25th February 2014, at 18:41:53
"Kevin I bet you was a right teachers pet at school." - That is to do with phone masts how? I worked hard in school Neil as I was always sensible :)

by Keven Ball

26th February 2014, at 11:19:07

As they all use the same mast Neil you will have to just wait until it is repaired. Not much else to say now? That would be the 'sensible' option I feel?

by Keven Ball

25th February 2014, at 22:29:45

Neil - you have appeared to have moved from 02 to gffgaff now, do you know what network you are even on, lol?

by Keven Ball

25th February 2014, at 22:20:27

Some very interesting posts here - I do hope 02 can fix this problem in more ways than one!

by Peter Jeffery

25th February 2014, at 20:41:04

Neil

Sorry mate, that's why I posted, as I read you were on Giffgaff. Just a bit of advice from experience - ignoring really annoys !

by Peter Jeffery

25th February 2014, at 20:20:05

Neil

I really don't know if this will help, but recently, after I had signed up to TT Mobile, I found they used vodafone, and I had no signal, believe it or not because of trees near a mast ! Because it was on VF coverage map, and as I could email them forum comments that it was long standing, I was able to cancel contract without penalty.
Now using T Mob who share with Orange perfect signal ( Shanklin by the way )
Giffgaff forums seem to suggest this :-

Hi, only an agent is able to compensate or refund members where appropriate. Therefore you need to contact an agent and ask them for a refund or compensation from here:

May be worth a try, they should have record of your missed calls / voicemails, and you can tell them how much in business / money you may have missed.

Last tip, if you want to take it further, google their head office and email the highest person you can access. Be reasonable but put it in their court, i.e. If this was you