Storms blamed for sea bird bodies washed up on beaches

By Ross Findon

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

RECENT storms have been blamed for an increase in the number of dead birds washed up on Isle of Wight beaches.

Dr Colin Pope, senior ecologist at the Isle of Wight Council, said: "Unfortunately we have seen an increase in the number of dead birds — mostly guillemots — being washed up on our shores, mainly as a result of the prolonged period of stormy weather we have experienced.

"Exhausted and malnourished birds become vulnerable in extreme weather conditions and tragically many do not survive.

"It is likely that the vast majority of sea birds are being washed up as a result of the recent storms."

Reporter: ross.findon@iwcp.co.uk

Comments

by Keven Ball

26th February 2014, at 19:32:47

I can answer that for you C Ryan. If you look over the posts you will see that Lee said this:

"Kev, Russell, it is a shame, but I imagine that the beach will clean itself with the tides, or through volunteer groups who litter pick beaches such as Totland beach and Steephill Cove, the volunteers here did a fantastic job and they should be very proud. "

That is how we got on to the topic of volunteers. I hope that helps and will you help clean the dead birds up as you say you are a volunteer?

by C Ryan-Sammon

26th February 2014, at 19:21:42

I agree Keven but this is about why the Birds were dead so not about Volunteering really ? Ive been a Volunteer myself for over 30yrs though only online these days but I do support Volunteers / giving back to the community ;)

by Keven Ball

26th February 2014, at 19:12:45

I am not quite sure what that is all about C Ryan? I am thankful for volunteers who care for their surroundings and take a pro-active approach if they do help the clean/clear up of the beaches otherwise it will cost the council to send their staff out to clean up the area!

by C Ryan-Sammon

26th February 2014, at 19:04:59

Oh so this Dead Bird Horror has nothing to do with the Palm Oil or muck in the sky from Chemtrails then ?
Baaaa Baaa Sheeple ;)

by Keven Ball

26th February 2014, at 15:33:57

Facebook has its advantages Lee - I feel a big thank you should go to all the volunteers for their kind efforts and hard work.

by Keven Ball

26th February 2014, at 10:55:16

I am not sure if they do get a rebate Lee? At best, volunteers might get their expenses paid for such as travel, lunch money if they volunteer through a charity/company. If they are doing it off their own back, they get nothing for it apart from knowing they have done a good deed.

by Keven Ball

25th February 2014, at 22:48:43

Nevertheless, I do agree about the sad times Lee and the poor wildlife that did suffer!

by Keven Ball

25th February 2014, at 22:46:09

Lee council tax does not cover the clear up by the volunteers. Council tax money would only cover this is the council cleared the mess up. Volunteers would do it off their own back, which is not covered by council tax. Thankfully, there is some good kind caring people out to support us all!

by Keven Ball

25th February 2014, at 21:54:38

That is fine Russell. I am confused does my name come up differently on this website to others?

by Russell Palin

25th February 2014, at 19:43:19

I wanted to say what I would do with all the rubbish Kevin, but I refrained as these days we humans ore a bit over sensitive. So no doubt it will be cleared at public expense, or should I say Landowners expense, who knows.....