Strike hits services

By a County Press reporter

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Strike hits services

National Union of Teachers (NUT) Isle of Wight branch leader John McGee. Picture by Jennifer Burton.

SERVICES across the Isle of Wight will be affected by today's (Thursday) strike.

Unions have come together around the country to take industrial action over issues including pay and pensions.

On the Isle of Wight several schools will be closed or partially closed (full list here).

Other services affected include the floating bridge, which will not operate, however there will be a passenger launch in service.

The Museum of Island History in Newport will be closed, along with Newport and Sandown* libraries. There will be no mobile library service.

Last week, the leader of the National Union of Teachers (NUT) on the Isle of Wight, John McGee, said their members were working up to 68 hours a week, with weekends lost in paperwork.

"This action is the direct responsibility of the government and an education secretary who are refusing point-blank to accept the damage their reforms are doing to the education profession," he said.

Comments

by Ben Ridley

12th July 2014, at 21:45:03

That should read private sector, you can probably guess where

by Ben Ridley

12th July 2014, at 21:34:51

Sorry Karen another post!
I find the total lack of support for the public sector very disheartening. Maybe this is why so many teachers ( though I do believe not as many as you assume) maybe not putting as much effort in as they should ( again though something I dispute )
And regards to my said views on the public sector, they are not my views, just given the private sector the same lack of support that is shown to the public sector.

by Karen Newton

12th July 2014, at 13:07:28

Having read that post Ben I feel you want to guide me to a view I will never have. Private companies that succeed do so by proving their value to their customers, and we tax payers are now demanding that value from schools, hospitals, etc. I come from a voluntary sector background, where we are providing essential public services on behalf of central and local govt for very low pay. Take away our sector and public services will crumble. If not already clear, I do not believe Island teachers as a whole deserve a pay rise, and some of them do not deserve a job at all. There are very few jobs, across all sectors, that are not essential (how would you manage without lorry drivers or factory workers) and I find it insulting when people prioritise public sector as being 'essential'. That undervalues and undermines so many others. We differ greatly in opinion, and with such strong opposing views this isn't a debate but who can be bothered to write the most posts! Not me...

by kevin froment

12th July 2014, at 07:20:51

colin, if they all left and became carers, what would happen to carers wages, it is a viscious circle, i watched my eldest grandaughters teacher yesterday interacting with his class at the leavers picnic at barton school, you cannot pay enough to these people for what they do and give to all our kids

by Ben Ridley

11th July 2014, at 11:32:27

Roger, in relation to what Peter said in my previous post, I'm not sure if you have read what he has said under another heading on this website to which I have pointed others to read under this heading if you wish to look it up

by Ben Ridley

11th July 2014, at 11:28:07

Roger, I'm a tax payer and I'm more than willing to pay that little more to make sure that they get the perks they do.
Does the private sector not pay huge amounts of money to CEO with reputations for turning companies around and to make profit, which we the consumer in the long run have to pay for.
And I believe the money is there, look how much the government has poured into free schools, and like Peter said invest in these people and the economy of this country will reap the rewards.

by roger mazillius

11th July 2014, at 10:56:32

I expect many people, whilst not supporting the strike, would have some sympathy for those who did.
In many cases imo pay is actually a secondary issue to the proposals for a later pensionable retirement age with lower actual pensions.
The demographic statistics for future life expectancy clearly show the nation's taxpayers cannot afford to pay for these public sector pensions in their present form.
Do you hear Mr. Miliband making a case for the status quo?

by Ben Ridley

10th July 2014, at 23:49:40

Mike, these private sector people should maybe walk in your shoes for a day!,

by Ben Ridley

10th July 2014, at 23:48:14

Sorry Karen those comments of Peter's are under the title Rallying call ahead of strike.

by Ben Ridley

10th July 2014, at 23:46:14

Karen, could I please ask you to read Peter Jeffery comments posed 10th July at 2047 and give me your response. Thank you.
And these educated and highly dedicated professional people do not go on strike unless they feel there is no other alternative. But I've got to say it's worked , we are all talking about it.
And I'm sure they can't really afford a day off!!