Taxi fares set to rise

By Sara Bryce

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

SOME taxi fares on the Isle of Wight look set to rise following proposals announced by Isle of Wight councillors.

But the move has worried some taxi firms, who think the council underestimated driver costs and argued the increase should be higher.

Taxi fares during the day until 10pm will go up from 40p to 45p per quarter of a mile, except on bank and public holidays, waiting time per minute is down from 60p to 40p early in the morning and late at night and from £1 to 80p after midnight and on some Bank Holidays including Christmas Day.

The council said that under the new charges, the cost of a two-mile taxi journey during the day until 10pm would cost £5.70 on the Isle of Wight, compared to the south's average of £5.98, and a five-mile journey would cost £11.10 on the Island compared to £11.80 in south.

Taxi company Rounsevell Executive Cars has voiced concerns that fuel prices are higher than the council realise, and they have not allowed for future tax increases on fuel.

John Gunter wrote: "Some of the drivers use the wrong tariff and as a result some overcharging takes place. This is because drivers are able to change the tariffs. All meters should be calendar controlled."

The proposed changes are due to come in from February, and there is an opportunity for anyone to comment on them from Friday, December 14, to 4pm on Monday, January 14.

Reporter: sarab@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

by Martin Heath

16th December 2012, at 11:03:58

Oh My God Stephen. this has no relevance to the ferries!!!! Join the **** action group and vent on them, why do you feel it's necessary to comment on this about Wightlink is beyond me! :-)

by ian armstrong

13th December 2012, at 06:51:28

Oh, forgot to mention- fares have actually been LOWERED when waiting time is factored in. Less money for us.

by ian armstrong

13th December 2012, at 06:47:59

I agree with Ed Mew. Myself also being a taxi driver I know that overcharging is against regulations; if a driver sees fit to flaunt these rules then it is his/her license that is at stake. If Pierre had read the article properly he would have noticed that the island's taxi fares are not the highest in the south region. To Stephen Elliot- before you go spouting off to the nearest cabbie about being 'ripped off' you need to understand that fares are set by the Council, not us.

by ed mew

12th December 2012, at 20:21:13

I take offence to your comments Pierre, I am an independent taxi driver and never overcharge, in fact myself along with most companies will charge less than the metered price. I question whether your fair was pre-arranged with the driver or on the meter? was there more than 4 of you in the taxi, and what time it was?. Please do not tar all taxi drivers with the same brush. Personally I think the fares should stay as they are.

by Stephen Elliott

12th December 2012, at 17:58:15

Like the buses n ferries, all a rip off.

by Pierre LaChamp

12th December 2012, at 15:53:06

"Some of the drivers use the wrong tariff and as a result some overcharging takes place"

No sh** Sherlock
One tried to charge me £84 from Ryde to Godshill
I won't name and shame, because they all do it
The driver was fortunate I gave him £40 - to which he happily drove off with
I hate to think how many 'extras' the Island drivers take compared to their Pompey counterparts (aqua, citywide)
Then people moan that tourism is down
I'd not come here again if I was ripped off by a cabbie