Teenager died after allergic reaction

By a County Press reporter

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

 

THE FATHER of a teenager who collapsed after a sudden severe allergic reaction to peanuts in a takeaway meal has today (Tuesday) told an inquest how he cradled his son in his arms as he lay dying.

Postman Steven Luckett, 45, described how his 15-year-old son, William, turned pale and stopped breathing after eating a Chinese takeaway meal on December 29, 2012.

William had ordered his favourite Chinese dish, barbecue spare ribs, from the Hong Kong Express in Ryde, not knowing that the takeaway's sauce for the ribs contained peanuts.

The talented youngster, who played guitar, suffered from anaphylactic shock which affected his breathing, caused by his allergy to peanuts.

Mr Luckett told an inquest at Isle of Wight Coroner's Court how William Luckett had turned pale and had swollen lips after eating a few mouthfuls of his Chinese meal.

He had been staying with Mr Luckett and his partner at Mr Luckett’s home in Brading. Mr Luckett told the inquest that William, who lived with his mother in Gloucestershire, had previously suffered an allergic reaction to peanuts but this was the worse he had ever seen.

He said: "He kept saying, 'sorry, sorry’ as if he thought he had done something wrong. I reassured him and told him everything would soon be fine."

Mr Luckett decided to take William to hospital but his conditioned worsened and an ambulance was called.

Mr Luckett said: "I tried to keep him conscious but he stopped breathing. He was really white. The ambulance arrived soon after. I picked him up and cradled him I told him how sorry I was that this had happened."

William was rushed to St Mary’s Hospital, Newport but was pronounced dead after he arrived. The inquest heard that his nut allergy had not been explained to staff at the takeaway restaurant when he ordered his meal.

In a narrative conclusion, the Island’s coroner, Caroline Sumeray, said the case highlighted that medication prescribed to tackle allergic reactions should be kept with sufferers at all times. She added that sufferers should always alert restaurants to their condition.

More News

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

Most Read

  1. Hurricane Gonzalo: Isle of Wight travel

    Tuesday, October 21, 2014

  2. Man cut free after collision

    Wednesday, October 22, 2014

  3. Crash at Quarr

    Tuesday, October 21, 2014

  4. Investigation after boys approached

    Tuesday, October 21, 2014

  5. High winds damage lifeboat centre

    Tuesday, October 21, 2014

View our Elgin Traffic & Travel Map
Travel News Sponsor