Thousands back free parking call

By Ross Findon

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Thousands back free parking call

From left, Courtney Parker, Ewan Gulliver, Lynsey Hardy, Mark Nagle, Debra Nagle, Sharron Gibbs, Tony Gibbs, Cllr Jon Gilbey and Cllr Roger Whitby-Smith.Picture by Matthew Mckew.

A PETITION calling for parking charge plans for Appley and Puckpool to be scrapped has been handed to the Isle of Wight Council.

Signed by more than 2,800 people, the petition was started after the Isle of Wight Council announced plans to start charging for parking at the two popular parks this summer.

Tony Gibbs, who fears charges would hit local businesses and lead to a decline in visitors, said he hoped the petition would ensure the council debated the issue before charges were introduced.

"There’s a full council meeting on May 21 and we hope they will debate the issue then. There’s a chance we could get them to do a u-turn on the plans," said Mr Gibbs, 48, of Station Road, Brading.

Reporter: ross.findon@iwcp.co.uk

Comments

by David Blackford

30th April 2014, at 11:13:36

James Mc - you are a crazy chap

by James McAdder

30th April 2014, at 10:33:43

Cheese always tastes better after the swallows have flown south for the winter.

by David Blackford

30th April 2014, at 09:22:31

Oy! - get back to the subject

by James McAdder

30th April 2014, at 06:55:30

Because, like a lot of people, I am required to keep 1 week for the Christmas period when the company shuts down. Add in the other week I need to keep for sickness and emergencies ( as I only get SSP) and I actually only have 2 weeks a year to do with as I please.

by James McAdder

30th April 2014, at 06:55:26

by Steve Smith

30th April 2014, at 01:22:52

But James all workers get at least 4 weeks holiday plus Bank Holidays by law. So why do you only get 3?

by James McAdder

29th April 2014, at 16:55:13

So, it's OK for me to suggest we all go on a parking strike, but mention nipples and you get your post deleted?

Strange world with strange morals if people take offence at "nipples", truly.

by James McAdder

29th April 2014, at 16:51:31

I wasn't even having a go at the strikers, George. I was just suggesting that a bit of "affirmative action" might work for motorists, too.

The problem is, I know plenty of people who work in the public sector who are out of touch with the reality of working for an SME. One person in particular I know gets signed off sick with "stress" for six months, then, just before they are about to drop to half pay, comes back to work for a month and then, surprise, surprise, is off with stress for another six months, on full pay.

And, yes, it is a council worker, before you ask.

If I go off sick. I, like most SME employees, get SSP from the get-go. I can't live on that, so I don't go sick unless I'm incapable of climbing out of bed. If I really am that Ill, I take my time off out of my (meagre) leave allowance, a week of which I retain for just such an emergency (meaning I get only two weeks leave I can really use for holidays a year.

by James McAdder

29th April 2014, at 16:22:52

The council may have to balance the books, but milking the motorist until their nipples bleed is not the way to do it, particularly as it is extreme short-term-ism as it drives people to use out-of town supermarkets (with their free parking) rather than local shops (which end up closing with the resultant loss of business rates).

by David Blackford

29th April 2014, at 14:34:54

The Council has to balance the books. Sadly, money does not grow on trees - not even the nice ones at Appley and Puckpool