Venue's hours reduced

By Emily Pearce

Monday, February 10, 2014

A RYDE venue has had its licence pegged back by the Isle of Wight Council by an hour following noise complaints from neighbours.

The Isle of Wight Council's licensing sub committee, which met on Friday, found there had been a consistent failure to keep noise levels down and prevent public nuisance, and ruled a noise management plan should be drawn up and submitted to the council for approval.

The club's licence to play live and recorded music and sell alcohol was reduced by one hour, from 1am to midnight, from Sundays to Thursday, and from 2am to 1am on Friday and Saturday.

A further condition, prohibiting customers from taking alcohol outside and drinking in the smoking area, was also imposed.

Reporter: emilyp@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

by Keven Ball

11th February 2014, at 13:52:51

That is fine Neil if you believe that to be the case. Again, I will have to agree to disagree as I cannot say every person who is drunk wants to fight. Many of them just fall asleep or stagger home.

by Keven Ball

11th February 2014, at 10:57:35

Neil, I see plenty of drunken people but not everyone who has a drink wants to hurt other people was my point...

by Debbie Hollebon

11th February 2014, at 10:55:23

Part of the problem is the non-smoking law, my friends lived next door to a pub and as long as they kept to the times on the licence, no problem. The music was indoors till a certain time with windows and doors shut. When the new smoking laws came in people gathered outside by the doors in groups smoking, talking loudly as people do when they've had a few drinks. They also had a habit of leaving the doors open so they can still hear the music. Even if the staff closed the doors the next person through left it open again. I'm not a smoker and I'm not in favour of smoking in public places but this law has caused problems for people who live near to pubs. The laws extending pub hours doesn't help neighbours either, when my friends moved in the pub shut around 11pm this became 2am. This particular pub has since shut and been turned into flats.

by Mark Hitchman

11th February 2014, at 07:14:37

@Stephen - Environmental health officers called for the Town Club's licence to be reviewed after residents complained about loud music, noise from the smoking area and from customers leaving the Star Street premises. Town Club is the venue, Star Street the location!

by Stephen Elliott

10th February 2014, at 23:29:38

Or the star Trina... But no where does it mention the actual venue

by Keven Ball

10th February 2014, at 21:57:49

I am not sure where you drink or visit Neil - I cannot say I have witnessed this?

by Keven Ball

10th February 2014, at 19:52:56

T Rollingsworth what do you mean it was a city? And that is s great way of thinking Baz, why am I not surprised, lol!

by Baz Taylor

10th February 2014, at 19:26:31

Nothing wrong with a drop of falling-down liquid! Avoid hangovers - stay drunk!

by T Rollingsworth

10th February 2014, at 19:20:42

Keven, it was a city. And I agree, people need to know there own limits. Neils argument is about lack of moderation, I go out twice a week and I am within what the government consider "moderate drinking"

by Keven Ball

10th February 2014, at 19:10:20

In that case close all supermarkets as well as they sell booze... There is nothing wrong with bars or pubs if you know you drinking limits.