Young people urged to have their say on youth service

By Ross Findon

Friday, January 24, 2014

YOUNG people have been urged to have their say on youth services thanks to the launch of an Isle of Wight Council consultation.

In December a report to the Isle of Wight Council cabinet, following part of the root and branch review launched by the Independents, said up to £200,000 could be slashed from the youth service budget.

That report proposed parish and town councils and community groups could take over running youth services.

At the moment, the Isle of Wight Council provides youth and community services aimed at 13 to19 year olds or those aged up to 24, with a declared learning disability.

Services include youth clubs and homework clubs, as well as a one-to-one service for vulnerable young people in schools.

Under the proposals put forward in December, the Isle of Wight Council would offer money to other organisations to run services.

In a statement issued today (Friday) the council said it would explore match funding opportunities to help local organisations provide services, which may not be possible using existing council facilities or services.

It invited people to have their say via an online survey on its website.

Isle of Wight Council cabinet member for children’s services Richard Priest said: "These proposed changes are designed to help make services and activities fair for all young people.

"In developing the proposals we have considered the need to deliver modern and varied youth services that are that are accessible and inclusive.

"We also need to ensure young people get the right support, in the right place at the right time and know where to go for the right information and advice.

"I would encourage all users of youth services as well as local groups and organisations to take part in the survey so these can be considered ahead of final proposals being published."

Consultation events for town and parish councils, voluntary and community groups, parents and carers and young people are due to be held in January and February.

Reporter: ross.findon@iwcp.co.uk

Comments

by alan naylor

26th January 2014, at 16:00:58

Here you all go lads were going to let you have your say then were going to CUT the amount we allocate to your youth clubs and other activities

by David Blackford

26th January 2014, at 12:30:28

Yes Keven, right off the subject but worth discussing

by Keven Ball

26th January 2014, at 12:22:20

I feel the fact is today's living standards and general life is completely different to the past (as said). You cannot compare the two at all. I am not sure what point you are making when you refer to children being born outside of wedlock with regards to the title of this article? Moreover, I feel the island's youth should voice their concerns and take advantage of this event.

by David Blackford

26th January 2014, at 08:58:05

PPS - Right off the subject I know. But my great great grandfather was born out of wedlock and in those days was given the mother's surname. The parents did later marry - but my surname is that of my great great grandmother instead of my great great grandfather. Surprising what lies in ones ancestry

by David Blackford

26th January 2014, at 08:15:15

PS - Thank you website manager - I did intend to hide "that word"

by David Blackford

26th January 2014, at 08:13:22

Too True Keven - I did a paper round for many years and I joined the RAF at 18 - I would have had to do National Service anyway. Almost everyone lived at home with their parents until they got married - No one had "partners" they had boyfriends or girlfriends and in those days, any child born out of wedlock was a **** and the birth certificate said so. That word is still in the dictionary - but I don't think anyone has invented a modern word for it

by Keven Ball

25th January 2014, at 18:44:12

@ David
If you wanted money you had to work for it pure and simple. There were no credit cards, no benefit system, no free school meal etc. Long hard days and low wages. Working condition were worse, no tax credits or housing benefits... I could go on but you see my point? Life back then is nothing like it is now. Today you can choose the benefit lifestyle and live very well without doing a day's work (sadly)!

by David Blackford

25th January 2014, at 14:07:36

Upon reflection I think you are right Keven. We were self sufficient with not much need for material things. Life was good

by Keven Ball

25th January 2014, at 12:12:01

@ David - "But today's teenagers need more help than we did back in the good old days" - How? Many people in the olden days did not have the safety net of the benefit system and had to work to eat! People today old and young have it easy...

by David Blackford

25th January 2014, at 06:34:43

Me? - I am an 80 year old teenager at heart! - But todays teenagers need more help than we did back in the good old days