Andrew steps up to the challenge

By Jon Moreno

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Andrew steps up to the challenge

Isle of Wight charity fundraiser Andrew Smith.

AN Isle of Wight man with a good head for heights will be putting his best foot forward to raise charity cash by running up the steps of one of London’s tallest buildings.

Andrew Smith, assistant manager at Toogood Plastics, Rookley, aims to raise at least £250 in aid of national homeless charity, Shelter, by negotiating the 920 steps of Tower 42, the former NatWest building, on Tuesday, March 4.

The 50 year old, of Ash Lane, Gunville, who has done fundraisers each year for good causes on his bicycle, hopes to complete the gruelling 600ft annual Vertical Rush Challenge in 15 minutes.

"This time I wanted to do something a bit different. I came across this challenge on the internet and thought I’d give it a go," said Andrew.

Last year, Andrew completed the 110-mile Cotswold Autumn Classic and raised £255 for teenage swimmer Renee Stewart to help with her training and travel costs, so she could take part in the Deaflympics in Bulgaria.

Anyone interested in supporting Andrew by making a donation, can visit his Just Giving page at www.justgiving.com/Andrew-Smith105.

Reporter: jonm@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

by Keven Ball

3rd March 2014, at 22:01:30

1 2 3

by steve paul taylor

26th February 2014, at 09:35:05

MC I can see it all like it was yesterday bomb behind the bath panel. I liked listening to Norm good speaker.

25th February 2014, at 22:19:44

Steve. Quite agree with reference to the age

""who has done fundraisers each year for good causes on his bicycle,"""

Google Norman Tebbit

by steve paul taylor

25th February 2014, at 21:44:03

MC I don't get your post !!! 50 is not old and how does he ride a bike up steps also what does the last sentence mean!

by Keven Ball

25th February 2014, at 18:02:57

I hope the readers will also help and donate some money to this?

www.justgiving.com/Andrew-Smith105.

25th February 2014, at 17:12:17

"""The 50 year old, of Ash Lane, Gunville, who has done fundraisers each year for good causes on his bicycle, hopes to complete the gruelling 600ft annual Vertical Rush Challenge in 15 minutes"""

? On his Bike ?

"On yer bike" takes on a different meaning ... ;-)

by steve paul taylor

25th February 2014, at 17:08:11

Good luck dude, why do they put an emphasis on you being 50 I don't get that bit.

by Keven Ball

25th February 2014, at 17:05:14

Fantastic Andrew - I am shocked that the amount raised isn't higher. I will have to have a look on the link attached. Good luck :)