A PROPERTY in Shanklin has been closed by Isle of Wight police after Isle of Wight magistrates issued a crack house closure order.
The order, which means no-one can enter 132 Regent Street for the next three months without police authorisation, was granted by magistrates yesterday (Wednesday).
Following a raid in August police arrested two people who lived at the property on suspicion of serious drugs offences.
Police have praised the courage of the community for coming forward to assist in the process, which led to the closure of the Southern Housing owned property.
Southern Housing plans to repossess the property before the order comes to an end in February.
Sgt Paul Jennings, of the safer neighbourhoods and partnership team, said: "It’s very uncommon that we have to apply for any premises to be closed using this specific legislation on the Island.
"I would like to thank all of the residents who came forward to assist us with this legal process.
"They showed real courage and will now be able to benefit from a quality of life that we all deserve"
Southern Housing's Isle of Wight regional director Paul Cotton said: "It was pleasing to see local police officers working alongside Southern Housing Group’s anti-social behaviour team to secure the closure.
"This property’s closure keeps local residents safe and demonstrates the value of partnership working within the community"
Chief Inspector Nick Heelan said: "This is further evidence of Isle of Wight Police working with other partners to address drug related issues that affect law-abiding residents and neighbours."
Crack house orders were introduced as part of the anti-social behaviour act 2003 to give the police powers to close properties where class A drugs are being used.
They were previously used in 2006 for a property in Garden Way, Pan.