Isle of Wight faces unwanted cat crisis

By a County Press reporter

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Isle of Wight faces unwanted cat crisis

Kittens seeking homes, pictured at the RSPCA centre in September.

THE Isle of Wight is facing an unprecedented cat crisis.

For the first time, the RSPCA’s Godshill animal centre is full to capacity with 97 cats, 51 of them kittens, with a similar picture at the Cats’ Protection centre in Ryde.

This means the Godshill centre is now turning away cats and although it has appealed to mainland shelters to take in some of the surplus, it is being told the situation is as bad at the other shelters.

Conny Boon, of the RSPCA, said: "Nearly all cats coming into our care are in need of medical treatment. They are lucky if they are only riddled with fleas and worms.

"More often than not un-neutered cats are also not vaccinated, which increases the risk of cat flu, feline leukaemia virus and other illnesses.

"Every day we have calls from people finding cats with kittens in their sheds and outbuildings.

"Several days ago we managed to return a mother cat and her six kittens to the owner, the cat had given birth in the sail loft at the UKSA and had been missing for four months."

Now animal welfare charities are launching a new bid to get owners to have their female cats spayed, issuing vouchers for the procedure costing just £10.

The RSPCA Isle of Wight branch is contributing £2,000, RSPCA Regional Board £5,000 and Cats Protection £2,000 towards the project, which should cover around 200 cats.

The RSPCA van has already been parked in Newport, Shanklin and Ryde to hand out vouchers. People must be on low incomes to qualify.

Comments

by Mr Elliott

23rd November 2012, at 17:43:53

Yes Mr Majors, I did say we should kill stray/abandoned cats.
Is it really 'animal friendly' to let non-indigenous predatory species do major damage to our islands ecosystem.

Vouchers will only be used by those that care, and it's quite obvious that there are plenty of cat owners wo don't care.

by Sarah Smith

23rd November 2012, at 17:10:45

Graeme, I think you must have gone to the same place I went to. Quite honestly, if people can have a human baby without managing to starve or neglect it, they ought to be able to manage to look after a cat without having to impress the cat stasi!

by Sarah Smith

23rd November 2012, at 17:07:03

Oh, it cut me off in mid-rant.."Jane", you are a complete idiot and you should go and "volunteer" somewhere that requires no wit whatsoever.

by Sarah Smith

23rd November 2012, at 17:05:16

Shelters don't actually help themselves. I recently had two cats from a certain shelter on the Island. One of them didn't get on with my pre-existing cat and I rehomed him with my sister. An idiot female from that shelter took offence to the fact that I had taken responsibility for rehoming arrangements without asking her advice. She visited the cat at my sister's on the pretext of checking that he was happily settled, and having said how good the arrangements were she lied to my sister about the cat needing to have his microchip changed. She took the cat away with her then refused to give him back because my sister lives on a busy road. When it was pointed out that we both live on the same road, and my previous cat just died of old age at 14, the manager of the shelter relented and someone a bit less thick returned the cat. I would name and shame the shelter but I won't. I'll just say "Jane", you are a complete idiot and you should go and work somewhere that requires

by Martin Heath

23rd November 2012, at 15:33:14

Ooh. Contentious issue indeed. Unfortunately there are an awful lot of uncaring owners who couldn't give a monkeys about how many kittens their cats churn out. And no doubt there are many people that could gibve a stray cat a caring and loving home. There are other options of course. Culling ferals would be one answer. Unsavoury to many I know. But, if they can do it to Badgers?!? Should stray (Feral) cats be considered vermin? If so then pest controllers could be called in to deal with the problem. Who's going to pay for that? The Council? I doubt it. They're still trying to save money. Don't get me wrong, I'm no cat hater. we had cats when I was younger, suitable neutered and speyed as appropriate. But realistically? Whta's the answer

by Paul Strauss

23rd November 2012, at 13:08:10

Come come Mr Majors - and you normally such a jovial contributor! Obviously all this talk of unfortunate felines has rubbed your fur the wrong way. There is absolutely no need to worry about the Godshill cats, as being worm-ridden and flea-bitten they would be unfit for human consumption anyway.

by Paul Strauss

23rd November 2012, at 10:42:34

Cats are considered a delicacy in parts of China. Why not send this EU cat-mountain to those who need it the most - our Chinese cousins? Yet another example of those in authority squandering precious natural resources.

by Graeme Egerton

22nd November 2012, at 21:05:39

I can't help thinking the RSPCA don't do themselves any favours. I know one person who was denied a cat because she lives on a "busy road." Her locally sourced moggie has managed not to get run over yet in over ten years. I have had two cats myself from them but was denied a Siamese because "they are very special cats." My friends, who have two, are somewhat baffled by this.

by Mr Elliott

22nd November 2012, at 19:57:32

Humans killing humans, hmmm, not sure how we got to this subject.
My opinion would be:
If there is some looney humans roaming the wild killing other humans, then yes kill them before they kill more, thus causing less suffering.
If some dictator ruling some country starts comitting genocide, then kill them. It's already a rule isn't it?
The difference is that not all humans are killers, but cats are.

by Angela Stannett

22nd November 2012, at 19:39:43

And what do you think us humans are doing we are killing other humans! should we apply the same rule as you say there too!