Isle of Wight Festival: Crime down at festival

By a County Press reporter

Thursday, June 19, 2014

 

Isle of Wight Festival: Crime down at festival

Thousands of revellers enjoyed a safe Isle of Wight Festival 2014, according to police. Picture by Jennifer Burton.

CRIME at this year’s Isle of Wight Festival was cut by almost half, according to provisional police figures.

Hampshire Constabulary said effective teamwork between different agencies at Seaclose Park helped keep crime low at this year’s music event.

Provisional figures have revealed the number of crimes dropped to 84 from 159 last year, a drop of 47 per cent.

There were 44 reports of burglary and theft — a reduction of 70 on last year — with four violent crimes reported, compared to 12 last year.

Isle of Wight Festival policing commander, Ch Supt Scott Chilton, said: "Keeping tens of thousands of people safe in and around Seaclose Park is a huge policing challenge, which we met successfully again this year. Close co-operation with other agencies through the event's Safety Advisory Group was vital.

"Residents living close to the festival site were not forgotten by our Safer Neighbourhoods teams, who did extra patrols over the weekend.

"The festival police office proved to be popular with visitors, who picked up free tips and technology to protect their personal possessions.

"Many people followed our precautions before the festival by reading advice online and meeting our special constables at the Island’s ferry terminals.

"We appreciated the relaxed and good-natured attitude of the vast majority of people to make it a safe, low-crime event."

The A&E department at St Mary’s Hospital, Newport, was quiet, with only a few festival-related cases dealt with over the weekend, an Isle of Wight NHS spokesman said.

Festimed provided a medical service on the site and Isle of Wight NHS, a pharmacy.

• Around 200 revellers signed up to become members of the Isle of Wight NHS Trust Foundation Trust. The trust now has 4,000 members and is hoping to recruit another 2,000 by April 2017.

More News

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

Comments

Log-in or register to comment on this story. See our House Rules here.

By ticking "Remember me" you agree to a cookie being stored on your computer - no personal data is shared.

Forgotten your password?

Any views or opinions presented in the comments above are solely those of the author and do not represent those of the Isle of Wight County Press.

Most Read

  1. Man cut free after collision

    Wednesday, October 22, 2014

  2. Hurricane Gonzalo: Isle of Wight travel

    Tuesday, October 21, 2014

  3. Crash at Quarr

    Tuesday, October 21, 2014

  4. Investigation after boys approached

    Tuesday, October 21, 2014

  5. High winds damage lifeboat centre

    Tuesday, October 21, 2014

View our Elgin Traffic & Travel Map
Travel News Sponsor