Meeting to discuss flooding

By Ross Findon

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Meeting to discuss flooding

Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service deals with flooding in Ryde in December. Picture by Robin Crossley.

FLOODING will be on the agenda at a public meeting organised by an Isle of Wight councillor tonight (Tuesday).

The meeting, at the Simeon Arms in Ryde at 5pm, has been organised by Ryde member Cllr Wayne Whittle.

"There are some properties in the Strand that have flooded four times since Christmas eve.

"It has been really bad for a lot of people. Some are finding it tough to get insurance now," said Cllr Whittle.

Representatives from the Isle of Wight Council, the fire and rescue service, Southern Water, Environment Agency and Island Roads are due to attend.

Reporter: ross.findon@iwcp.co.uk

Comments

by Keven Ball

23rd January 2014, at 13:07:02

I know Ryde will need to invest in flood defences as it has always been high risk when the bad weather comes in!

by David Blackford

22nd January 2014, at 13:32:52

I feel so sorry for anyone who bought a property not knowing it was liable to flood. I believe that part of the conveyance procedure when selling is that this information must now be disclosed to the buyer.
Maybe a conveyancer or estate agent could give better information on this

by T Rollingsworth

22nd January 2014, at 13:04:33

"It has been really bad for a lot of people. Some are finding it tough to get insurance now,".
----------

I doubt that unless they are now saying that they are in a flood prone area, which is technically false. More likely that people are finding their premiums have gone up as a result of making a claim this month.

by David Blackford

22nd January 2014, at 09:59:52

They were all clumping around so much in their willies Russell, you couldn't hear a thing

by Russell Palin

22nd January 2014, at 08:02:51

How did the meeting go? Anybody.

by David Blackford

22nd January 2014, at 07:18:59

Why don't you lot say it "GLOBAL WARMING" - If World leaders cannot sort it out then I doubt that Ryde Town Council will

by Debbie Hollebon

21st January 2014, at 20:48:35

My parents have moved into a new house in Ryde, It has a system which collects the rainwater that falls on the property into a large underground tank which is then used for all non-drinking purposes in the house. The drive is also made of bricks which have gaps between them to allow rain to soak away. Perhaps the council should encourage these moves in new builds and prosecute homeowners who are still concreting over their front gardens to provide extra parking. Any sort of paving in front gardens now requires planning permission and should be of the kind that allows drainage, I haven't seen in the county press any mention of the council prosecuting a single homeowner for breaking the law but I have seen lots of bits of concrete that have been added to front gardens since the law came in. New homes are built to the new regulations to meet current planning, it's the older housing stock that has concreted drives. As to roads better maintenance of culverts and ditches would help.

by Debbie Hollebon

21st January 2014, at 18:46:07

Dear Lee, what has immigration got to do with the tidal surges and the unusual jet stream speeds we've had this winter? are you sure it wasn't the fault of gay marriage?

21st January 2014, at 17:04:54

Baz the question HAS to be asked, 'Why all of this flooding?' I'm sorry but there is NOT more rain now as far as I can see. I can remember the Summer of 1951. It was wet, wet, WET. I remember the Autumn of 1976. It was wet, wet, Wet Summer fine I remember it was hot, hot, HOT. I was confined to a teaching job in one of the prisons and would have LOVED to get out in the sun.

So why is there all this flooding? In the cases I had to deal with, BOTH were involved, or caused if you like, by land being concreted over for "The Car". There is less land now for the rain to soak into. SO? Divert that water as soon as it hits those concrete slabs. Where? ........... NOT into people's homes which is what is happening all over the country.

Do I have the answer? Well stop the 'roof and road' coverage would help wouldn't it?

by Baz Taylor

21st January 2014, at 16:14:58

There's not a lot we can do to stop nature, but I hope some sort of solution can be sought soon. This can't keep happening every year. My heart goes out to those affected by flooding.