New marina plans take shape

By Martin Neville

Friday, January 17, 2014

New marina plans take shape

Plans for a new Isle of Wight marina, in East Cowes. Picture courtesy of the HCA.

WORK on a new 400 berth Isle of Wight marina is expected to start later this year.

The Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) is looking for a partner to develop and operate the marina, at East Cowes, and a surrounding waterfront development.

It said the opportunity included the freehold of the iconic Columbine building, which has the world’s largest Union flag painted on its doors and is expected to be of interest for manufacturing or as a marine service centre.

Land also included for sale includes the Victoria Barracks building, Albany building and the Maresfield Road site which has planning permission for up to 100 new homes, a 60-bed hotel, a restaurant or bar and car parking.

The plans forms the latest phase in the East Cowes regeneration project, which has already seen the development of 180 new homes, a Waitrose store, medical centre and new town square.

Paul Flatt, HCA senior development manager, said: "This is an exciting opportunity for a developer with experience in marine and waterfront development to bring forward the next key phase of the regeneration of East Cowes.

"All the infrastructure and planning permissions are now in place, ready for a developer to start on site."

He added: "The marina project is an important next step in the on-going regeneration of East Cowes town centre.

"The scheme will provide an important addition to marina facilities in the Solent and continue to attract visitors and jobs to East Cowes.

"We have received very strong interest in this project, from established marine developers in the UK as well as abroad."

An appointment is expected to be made by the summer with work beginning later this year.

Reporter: martinn@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

by R Griffiths

22nd January 2014, at 18:32:45

I'm puzzled at many the comments I thought the article was about the new marina plus building projects not anything to do with the perennial debate about the bridge. I must have misread it I should have gone to Specsavers!!!

by Steve Smith

19th January 2014, at 16:22:22

by Mike Crowe 21st June 2013, at 20:19:29
Don't worry, when I was younger I was a 'we don't want a Bridge' person too :-) You will learn

by Mike Crowe 13th September 2013, at 17:11:39
Just think, we will look back and laugh at all of these problems when the bridge is brought into commission

Still reckon you have never said you support the bridge? Typical troll!

19th January 2014, at 15:25:51

Have I said I don't support the Bridge? Show me where.

by James McAdder

19th January 2014, at 14:50:00

So you don't support the building of a bridge, Mike?

19th January 2014, at 11:27:54

No I didn't think you would, because I never have. Read what I write, not what you think I write.

by James McAdder

19th January 2014, at 11:16:54

You are playing with words, Mike.

You support the building of a bridge and push that point of view at every opportunity.

Now please answer the question.

by kevin froment

19th January 2014, at 08:53:45

dont see much green land being used for this development lee, perhaps looking at the photograph applied to this story would help, its being built on old factory sites, isnt that brown land

19th January 2014, at 08:50:53

Mr McAdder. Go back and read ALL of my posts about the bridge.

Then reprint my post where I have said that ""I"" want a bridge.

by James McAdder

19th January 2014, at 08:00:29

I am still waiting for Mr Crowe to reconcile his distaste for "roof and road" with his desire for a bridge, alan.

by alan naylor

18th January 2014, at 19:48:13

Dear Russell we all as english people love the Union Jack but lets fly it with dignity not painted on the side of a large garage door ,,,,,,,,, don t you know your Cowes you can be their all day as a visitor and not even know its there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, unless your a yauteeee Is that all you can say MIckeal Crow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Ialways know when you are stuck for words when you knock my english which I agree is pretty bad made a nice nest egg though cannot be all bad