Round-the-clock push to beat work deadline

By Richard Wright

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Round-the-clock push to beat work deadline

The specialist piling and coring equipment at Bouldnor, which drives the steel sheet piles as far as 16 metres into the ground.

ISLAND Roads says it is pulling out all the stops and working with utility companies to ensure the major road stabilisation scheme at Bouldnor is complete before the April 4 deadline.

It says it is working seven days a week and extended hours through the night. It has installed more than 600 of the 750 piles to strengthen the historically unstable highway.

Some Bouldnor residents have complained about noise, disruption and long diversions and the fact the road was closed at all.

A taxi service organised by Island Roads was laid on but some residents complained they did not receive letters telling them about arrangements.

Island Roads’ geotechnical director David Gibby said: "We realise that, while necessary, the closing of Bouldnor Road does cause inconvenience for residents, so we are taking all the steps we can to make sure work is completed as quickly as possible.

"I am pleased to say the work is progressing well and we thank residents once again for their continued patience and support in enabling these works to be completed safely and successfully.

"Work has included installing 400 metres of footway, widening it where necessary between The Viewpoint and The Mount, and installing 200 metres of new drainage along this section of road."

He said as part of the scheme, The Viewpoint car park, would be landscaped with additional planting to encourage wildlife, while the village green was also being re-profiled to make it easier to maintain.

Island Roads was improving the Revetment and supplied labour and materials to help Yarmouth Primary School create raised flower beds, as part of the company’s community involvement scheme, he said.

Comments

by Mike Powell

18th March 2014, at 17:23:29

Ok Jackie boy what I have seen so far not all impressed, and we beg to differ on if they are doing a good or bad job, and looking at facts and the potholes I have seen filled at present it leaves a lot to be desired. But some are easily pleased.

by Jack Woodford

18th March 2014, at 13:02:34

Its nothing to do with being and and clever, dude - its about looking at them there facts and forming a reasonable interpretation of those facts.
Its a seven-year programme of which they have yet to complete a year.
Therefore I don't share your outrage that the seven-year programme has not at this early stage brought about an overnight solution.
Still, at least you have acknowledged that you have seen some work so there's a bit of intellectual progress, I reckon.
Personally I feel Island Roads is doing a reasonable job. Given that they provide work to hundreds of Island dudes, I'm certainly not going to irrationally write them off after less than a year.
Each to their own of course tho, Mikey.

by Mike Powell

18th March 2014, at 12:37:13

Yes I forgot I have sat at numerous traffic waiting lights and when I have got there they are repairing a pavement, or filling in a pot hole, so dude if it is a seven year plan god help us at the speed they are moving, it will be a never never, and dude ignorance is bliss when you have someone as bright and clever as you dude.

And for all your opinions I would rather watch paint dry.

by Jack Woodford

18th March 2014, at 10:15:21

@Mike.
I suggested you look at the website so you could give a more informed opinion. If you wish to proceed in ignorance then that's down to you, fella.
But the simple fact is, the resurfacing work is a seven-year programme. They are not even a year (or one seventh, if that makes it easier to understand) into the contract, so that explains the level of work that has been carried out.
But even now, if you've managed to traverse the Island without coming across any new work, roadworks, traffic lights or diversions then you must have some unusual travel habits, dude!

by Den Young

17th March 2014, at 21:14:08

SPT if it is true we heard it here first, unless of course British Gas wants to deny it, and if they don't????

by Mike Powell

17th March 2014, at 18:44:59

I am out on the roads all the time and it really is spot the resurfacing, it must all be happening in your area, and why would I want to check out basic information like PFI when I have someone as clever as you on here. And so they publish work that has been done that week, don't tell me it is printed on a postage stamp.

by Patrick Hall

17th March 2014, at 18:14:10

Island Roads are doing a good job - so much to do to make right years of neglect.
Spare a thought for the workers whose job is to stand hour after hour guarding the barriers, Remember Yosser in 'Boys From the Black Stuff'?
"Gissa job, I could do that". No thanks.

by steve paul taylor

17th March 2014, at 14:21:16

Den I was told this by someone who works on it draw your own conclusion. I haven't seen any gas vans there EVER time will tell eh'

by Den Young

17th March 2014, at 13:32:34

ill ask again does anybody know if it is correct that the road is going to be dug up again on completion by British Gas

by david wright

17th March 2014, at 13:06:32

I just hope they know what they are doing and those piles dont make the sea wall fall into the sea like a big wedge driven into the ground would! It has been known to happen from piling.

I have a question . When is someone going to grasp the nettle and ban the gigantic lorries now on Island roads, that the roads are neither big enough, nor do they have the foundations to withstand the pounding they dish out.All the big Supernarkets now use giant lorries to get the best VFM from the driver and ferry crossing and some of them are just ridiculous in size and no doubt weight. Many of our roads are little more than tarmac on dirt so it is hardly surprising that the road surface does not withstand the hammering these giant lorries give. Opinion anyone??