Advertisement
Advertisement
Credit: Instagram @TimiEross

Credit: Instagram @TimiEross

Sandown dolphin died from bacterial infection

Megan Baynes

[email protected]

Friday, January 12, 2018 - 20:47

THE dolphin that washed up on Sandown beach died from a bacterial infection, an autopsy has found.

Despite the best efforts of surfers, members of the public and the British Divers Marine Life Rescue the dolphin was put down on January 4 after it repeatedly beached itself on the Isle of Wight. 

The postmortem, carried out Cetacean Strandings Investigation Programme (CSIP), also found rope in the animal's stomach and claw marks from a fight with a grey seal.

Rob Deaville, from the Zoological Society of London and CSIP, said: "Along with a few bone fragments and fish ear bones, a single small piece of green multifilament rope was present in the first stomach. The ingestion of marine debris was considered to be an incidental finding and was not a significant factor in the dolphins live stranding."

Gamella bacteria and light parasitic burdens were present in all three stomachs and there was no evidence of a recent feeding. Further tests are pending however, Rob said these are unlikely to affect the cause of death which has been given as "generalised bacterial infection."

He said the presence of the bacteria explained the animal's abnormal behaviour during the stranding.

It is believed the dolphin was a member of the pod at Lyme Bay and photographs of the dorsal fin have been sent to experts in the region to confirm this. 

For more details about the dolphin rescue, including photos, see this week's County Press.

Credit: CSIP-ZSL

Credit: CSIP-ZSL

Credit: CSIP-ZSL

Credit: CSIP-ZSL

Credit: CSIP-ZSL

Credit: CSIP-ZSL

 


Advertisement
ISLE OF WIGHT TRAVEL
Travel filler
ISLE OF WIGHT WEATHER

Now6℃

00:00

6℃

03:00

6℃

06:00

6℃

09:00

6℃

ISLE OF WIGHT TRAVEL
Travel filler
ISLE OF WIGHT WEATHER

Now6℃

00:00

6℃

03:00

6℃

06:00

6℃

09:00

6℃

ISLE OF WIGHT TRAVEL
Travel filler